Monday, September 29, 2008

LOZTP: 1 hr.

Unfortunately I have spent quite a bit of time being confused. It appears that I am supposed to find a sling shot for some of the children in the village, but I have not found a place that looks much like a store. The character that I believe I am supposed to get the slingshot from wants me to retrieve her cat. This seems simple enough. I need to take my newly acquired fishing pole and feed the cat.


The fishing mini-game utilizes the Wiimotes sensitivity to the angle at which it is held to create a very fun, very life-like fishing experience. It is life like insofar as up and down motions of fishing are mimicked with the Wiimote. There is no "reeling in" or anything of that nature. The realism is simply given through manipulation of the controller.  My problem however, has been catching fish. It seems like no matter how much I change my approach the “reeling in” feature I can not get a fish on the line.


Sadly enough, a friend of mine, watching me play, tried to catch a fish and succeeded on his first try. What is more, is that he has never played this game nor many others in his life. A humbling experience to say the least.


(It was at this point in the game, after spending 45 min or so failing the fishing mini-game that I erased my file and started the game over. I was worried that maybe I did not pay close enough attention to the dialogue and missed something crucial to succeeding in fishing/feeding the cat.)


Catching the fish has finally allowed me to make progress in the game. I was able to procure the aforementioned sling shot and advance to a few tutorials. The first tutorial was for using the sling shot. The second is for wielding my wooden sword.


The sling shot tutorial also made use of the Wiimote's aiming feature. To aim the slingshot, aim the Wiimote at the screen and move the cursor over the intended target. This feature had been used once prior in the game. There is a small sequence in the village that allows you to call down an eagle and command him to sore as a missile-like projectile into an intended object. To give the eagle a path to follow the Wiimote is used a in a similar fashion.


The tutorial for the sword allowed me to start using some of the interface features I had been wanting to try since I chose this game. To wield Link's sword you can shake the Wiimote for a normal slash and then by a series and combination of buttons together with shaking the Wiimote I am able to use Link's starting line up of sword techniques.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home